SmithBlack April 28, 2009 10:22 am

Public events were suspended and residents donned face masks as concern grew over the outbreak. Health experts say tests so far seem to link it with a new swine flu virus that sickened eight in the southern US. US experts said they were taking the virus seriously and working to learn as much as possible about it. But both the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) said that there was no need at this point to issue travel advisories for parts of Mexico or the US. In Geneva, the WHO said an emergency committee would likely convene over the weekend. It said it had prepared "rapid containment measures" in case they were needed. In the US, the White House said it was monitoring events.